Minecraft Education Edition is one of the most intriguing and exciting pieces of Edtech available on the market. It is changing the way we teach in the classroom and at home.
What Is Minecraft?
Over the last decade, Minecraft has become one of the most popular computer games among children over 10.
The majority of people will have heard the name Minecraft, even if they are unfamiliar with the game. Its fame comes not only from its popularity but also the game’s ‘staying power’, as it is now over ten years old, and its family-friendly character and appeal to all ages.
For those unfamiliar with Minecraft in the gaming world, it is an award-winning sandbox style game where users can explore, craft, build and battle in a blocky procedurally generated 3D virtual world with almost infinite terrain.
The main concept is to extract raw materials, craft tools, and build structures and simple machines. There is both cooperation and competition in this game as players exist in the same world. There are also various game modes, such as survival vs creative, giving players different experiences.
The potential of Minecraft to be more than just a game has not gone unnoticed. In 2016, Minecraft Education Edition was released.
What Is Minecraft Education Edition?
Minecraft Education Edition is a game-based learning platform with much of the same mechanics and concepts as the original game.
The big difference is that it is geared around educating pupils using a fun medium that they enjoy. Teachers can use Minecraft Education Edition with students to create puzzles, experiences, and full lesson plans to teach in a range of subjects but especially STEM.
With the physics, building, and problem-saving elements, Minecraft already had so much potential as a teaching tool. Minecraft Education Edition focuses on this type of useful gameplay while trimming out less useful aspects from the game. It also allows teachers to deliver lessons in a way that students enjoy.
This Edtech allows teachers to easily create lesson plans within a Minecraft world. It is particularly beneficial for teaching coding, SEL, problem-solving, collaboration, physics, history, and more.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Minecraft Education Edition In Schools?
- Design your own lessons across a range of subjects
- Utilise highly educational pre-built lessons with over 600 approved lessons to choose from
- Let students work together in multiplayer
- Discover extensive teaching tools, including simple tutorials in lesson design for teachers
- Extensive safety features for children to create an ultra-safe environment
- Cross-platform learning and play for Windows, Mac, iPad, and Chromebook
- Coding demos and toolkits on a huge range of subjects including:
- Sustainability and recycling
- Food production and energy systems
- Space exploration and planetary systems
- Energy transfer, forces, units of measurement
- Writing and language arts
- Historical events and geography
- Coding fundamentals and python
- Math for all grade levels
- Art and design
Key Differences Between Minecraft Education Edition And Standard Minecraft
In the education edition, there are additional features to ensure safety for children and create a better learning environment compared to the original game.
The education edition includes:
- Border blocks – Keep your students corralled together in one area so they can focus on the lesson.
- Control students block – Allow and deny blocks and prevent pupils from building in specific areas.
- Camera and Portfolio – Students can take pictures of themselves and their surroundings.
- Chalkboards – Write messages and instructions to pupils.
- NPCs – Create non-playable characters for students to interact with and gain additional info.
Does Minecraft Education Edition Really Improve Learning?
Minecraft Education Edition has shown tangible results when measured for improving pupil learning.
It is a fantastic tool to engage students with their subjects both in the classroom, during remote learning, and when pupils are at home finishing their homework.
Minecraft Education Edition is one of the in-built apps in the Windows 11 SE operating system which has specifically been designed for schools.
Hardsoft can deploy specialist laptop devices to schools en masse with the Windows 11 SE operating system pre-configured and all the best education apps, including Minecraft Education Edition.
Carissa Parnell has been with HardSoft for over 10 years, she is a content writer and helps us with blogging. She is highly experienced in copywriting for SEO strategies, web copy, email marketing and article writing.
Carissa’s interests include Gaming, Sci-fi, fantasy and fashion.
LinkedIn: Carissa Parnell